Thursday, April 12, 2007

She's a poet?

Many of you may not know that I have been writing poetry since freshman year of high school. Admittedly, I mainly wrote when I was sad or angry. So I suppose, thankfully, I have not written anything in the last three years. My English teacher was the first to show interest in my poetry and encouraged me to write more. That got me started, but mainly I would only share my poems with my paternal grandmother, Grammy. She was my kindred soul since she also wrote poetry and was in general an artist. I would spend my angst years of high school in the wee hours of the night hiding under a blanket with a flashlight writing poetry in my room. Since as I said much of it was created when I was sad or angry it is pretty raw and most likely will not be shared on this blog.

I will share the most recent one written on December 11, 2003 when Ben and I had only been dating a little over 2 months. I was feeling miserable with this nasty cold and trying to sleep as best one can in that sniffly, stuffy, painful state. Faintly I heard this knocking and Ben's voice trying to wake me up. I stumbled to the door in a disheveled mess. My glazed eyes where met with Ben's big grin and a warm dish of spaghetti and meatballs. What could be better?

Hush

My waves roar and crash,
My winds ripe through the dark,

     Churning sea and air alike.
This storm rages,
     Though confined to my cerebral walls.
My body feels withered and ill.

Then a whisper drifts past.

     A wave tries to tumble me further,
          But your voice follows.

A hush comes over my soul,
     And the sea rocks itself to sleep…

          The sky brightens,

               and I am aglow.

I marvel at your power with a smile.

How does my beacon reside within you? My serenity.


-M.LynnC.

No comments: